NPD / Process Technologist
Senior NPD Technologist
Competitive basic salary + 20 days holiday + your birthday off + health care scheme + other company benefits
Monday to Friday 9:00 – 17:00 (the occasional night shift may be required for product trials/launches)
FSC is a family business with 29 years of award winning experience in creating, rolling out and managing bespoke customer food-on-the-move solutions. Our customers include a selection of blue-chip companies in various industries, such as Shell, Debenhams, Thornton’s and Dunelm.
We offer a range of consultancy services drawing on our in-depth knowledge of the food-on-the-move sector and have managed projects in South America, North America, Asia, Scandinavia and several European countries.
Our Head Office is located in the world-famous village of Cheddar and we have an Innovation Centre near Bristol in Flax Bourton. Although many of the team are based throughout the UK and Europe, we regularly get together to review performance, share best practice and socialise! As well as working in a challenging and fast-moving environment, we believe it’s important to have a big chunk of fun and no day is ever the same at FSC.
Reporting to the Senior NPD Technologist you’ll be instrumental in the product development process from concept to launch, working with several manufacturers to ensure that new products have a competitive edge in terms of creativity but also in delivering commercially viable ranges in line with the critical path as well as set budgets and timescales.
The ideal candidate will have a Food Science or Technology degree coupled with 3+ years hands on experience in a similar concept to launch NPD/process role in food manufacturing, preferably within the bakery or chilled sector. You’ll have developed your understanding of NPD processes as well as your communication, organisation and project management skills. Passionate about all things food you will be driven to deliver amazing products for major customers and will thrive in a fast-paced environment.
The role will involve:
- Driving the development of products from chef handover to launch, with focus in the bakery sector.
- Daily use and upkeep of the new NPD system, ensuring the ingredient/product information is accurate and up-to-date.
- Creating manufacturing specifications using the NPD system.
- Ensuring NPD processes required are completed on time.
- Building relationships with the manufacturers, understanding their capabilities and spending time on site with their development teams to create exciting products in an efficient way, following the products through to the launch and beyond.
- Developing new products taking in to account cost, market trends, microbiological hazards, customer profile, ease of processing, travel, packaging and testing.
- Generating/formatting/checking information for product labeling including, description and ingredients in accordance with current legislation.
- Liaising with the manufacturers, other members of the NPD team, ops team, technical team and account managers throughout the development and launch process.
- Attending factory trials and product launches.
- Attending product photo shoots and taking photos for product specs where required, ensuring they are fit for purpose.
- Assisting in the sourcing new ingredients where appropriate.
- General team support and admin.
- Reviewing the market and keeping up to date with current food trends and issues.
Experience and Qualifications Needed:
- BSc Food Science/Technology
- 3+ years’ experience in NPD/process within FMCG, ideally within the bakery sector and having visited/worked in several different food manufacturing sites
- A strong interest in food outside of work
- Valid driving licence
- Computer literate, particularly EXCEL
- Highly numerate
- Excellent organisational skills
- A self-starter
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Relishes working in a fast-paced environment in a hands-on capacity
- Enjoys frequent challenges, change and working in multiple locations
- Has a natural can-do attitude and great attention to detail
- Shows initiative
- Has ability to learn to use new software quickly
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- If required to drive to suppliers/clients or between offices, a valid UK driving licence is essential
- Exceptional organisational skills
- A passion for food
- An awareness of market trends
- Being able to multitask
- Have strong technical skills
- Perform any other duties and objectives as required from time to time to contribute effectively to the achievement of the business aims and objectives.